Thursday, April 25, 2013

Living conditions in Hersey, Michigan 1929

We lived in Hersey, Michigan from 1929 until 1936. My father was Superintendent of Schools until 1935 when his contract was not renewed. This is typical of school supereintendents. Somebody wrote a book on it. As far as I know, Hersey was not incorporated. There was one medical doctor and a pharmacist. I used to go over to the doctor to have my baby teeth removed. Hersey had no sewage nor water service. We had a little pump at the kitchen sink. I think this went to a cistern somewhere. We did have electricity. My mother did her ironing at night to get better electricity. I dont remember about washing. We regularly had a hired girl. There was no school bus service. so girls from the country would stay with us, doing housework for board and room. I remember a party once, where we spread maple syrup on snow to make taffy. My father's sponsor was killed in 1935. My father was unemployed for six months and we lived on credit with groceries and rent. Our landlady was fantastically surprised one year when my father paid back all the rent.

No comments: