Saturday, April 13, 2013

Pets in Hersey

The other day I found a dog tag from 1928. We briefly had a dog whom I dont remember. This dog was stolen. As a consequence my father said no more dogs. We will have chickens for pets. So he got three little chicks from his brother-in-law, supposedly bantams. Well... as the chicks grew up it was clear that they were game cocks. Tip, Pip and Kayo. Kayo lived for many years, harassing every female who came into the yard. I have no idea how a chicken knew about human gender. When a woman came into the yard, he would lower his wing and attempt to herd her into his harem. He nearly killed my Grandma Schulta. Grandma was keeping him while we were on vacation. Kayo spurred a blood vessel in her leg. I dont know what happened next. This is one of those childhood mysteries. My last memories of Kayo were watching my Grandma Scamehorn fend him off with a broom. Grandma was living with us then.

No comments: