Friday, February 12, 2010

February 12, 2010

Dont be jammin on your brakes,
so saith the spokesman for Texas DOT.

Thursday
6 PM Walked dogs. Sidewalks are covered almost to ankles. What a mess.
10 PM DFW has recorded 9.4 inches, setting a new record. Temp is 32 in Fort Worth.
We took a bedtime walk. The scene was beautiful, snow falling softly. I was homesick for Michigan -- briefly.

Friday
5 AM Snow has ceased falling.
Contrary to expectations, temp did not fall and ice did not form. Snow is slowly melting. Temp at 11 am is 33 degrees. At this rate it will take a week to clear roads. This means another nightmare dog walk. Got out my Michigan boots.
At 5 am LC and I heard a boom and we were scared. Then I realized
that snow was falling. I the drifts were falling. Now I have heard another one.


Martha said that we made the national news with eleven inches of snow. All time record in the DFW area. I chatted with Martha as she drove up from Laredo.
Walking the dogs was much better this morning wearing boots. The boots gave me more traction. The dogs couldn't run in the field bc the snow was too deep. We visited with a man making a snowman. Blitzen circled it three times wondering what it was and then peed on it. The little boy (about 3) threw a snow ball at Blitzen.

Blitzkrieg's Tale
That funny stuff is all over. We couldn't even run in the field because it is so deep. We went over to talk to this man who was doing something. I couldn't figure out what that thing was. I looked it over carefully and then marked it. That kid threw the stuff at me.

Lady Chica's Tale
Personally I would just as soon stay home. That stuff has no smell and it is hard to walk in. Blitzen is so something or other. He has to look at everything. If I cant herd it, what good is it? Herd it or eat it, I say.

After talking with Martha for an hour, we took a nap. I got up and put on my outdoor clothes. I think the dogs expectd to go to the park, but alas. The parking lot is impassble. This morning our gate was only half open. The apt next door kept their gate open.
A tree split down the middle in our compound. Texas trees are not used to this much snow.

Martha: I walked back and forth to mail box. None of the sidewalks are clear. And there are puddles of water all over.

Comment: Other dogs rolled in the snow and enjoyed it. I think my dogs are too small. The snow is just too deep for them.

BOOK REVIEW:
John Sandford, *NIght Prey* (1994)
I was bored with this book. The search for the killer was boring.
Lucas Davenport, assistant chief of Police in Minneapolis. An investigator from the state bureau insists that a serial killer is stalking the state. He kills women in different jurisdictions. When the second murder finally occurs in Minneapolis, Lucas gets involved.
The killer is stalking a woman while he kills others. Not enuf suspense.
Lucas proposes to Weather.

No comments: