Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Clive Cussler

If I complain too much, I will get put in assisted living, altho I cannot afford that. IN my panic last night I ran after Blitzen altho that is counter productive. He is just playing chase.
The fastest human runs at 15 mph whereas Lady Chica has been clocked at 25 mph and Blitzen keeps up with her.
My dilemna is that I want to wring Blitzen's neck bc I am afraid he will get killed in the street.

Just learned from Wikipedia that a knot is nautical miles per hour and that it is one degree of latitude. (For my purposes I can use mph.) I have reached that place in a Clive Cusler novel when i get bored. We know what the villain is up to. Now we have the good guys go after the villain and we know Dirk Pitt wins. Or at least survives. Since the villain is planning to dump small pox on Los Angeles, we know that the good guys win.

For almost an hour we were totally alone at Ft. Woof, on both sides of the fence, but we had police protection. A police car was parked in the lot. I was reading, *When Men are Gods*, another story of the fendamentalist Mormons, focusing on Warren Jeffs.

came home and attended Open AA speaker meeting.



BOOK REVIEW
Clive Cusler, *Dark Wind* (on tape cassettes)
You have to be a Clive Cusler fan. He thinks up wildly improbable scenarioes.
His books always begin with a scene from the past. In this case, a Japanese submarine in 1943 sets sail with a cargo of *Dark Wind*. bombs to drop on the U.s. Sub is sunk.
Dirk Pitt Jr. is sent to the Aleutians to look into the deaths of two Coast Guard meteorologists and a herd of sea lions. I can't remember how he finds the submarine. He dives down, finds strange canisters as well as a modern timer. People on a Japanese fishing boat shoot at him and later two guys try to assassinate him. Exciting chase.
Eventually we find a second submarine. Dirk has done historical research and finds records of it. So the NUMA ship dives on the sub and retreives canisters with small pox.
The NUMA ship is boarded by ninjas who steal the canisters as well as Dirk Pitt Jr and his sister. Meanwhile, in alternate chapters, we have followed the career of a north Korean fanatic who wants to reunite the two Koreas. He plans to bomb the US with enhanced small pox virus. Meanwhile everybody thinks this is a Japanese grp called Red Japanese.
I am only half way through the book. I may read Hank the Cowdog to put me to sleep.

Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: