Thursday, July 3, 2008

Gillian Roberts

Hunger drove me from my bed at 10 am. I intend to rest today, preparing for tomorrow's
cookout with Martha and Jeff. I may go back to bed. I may take some hand sewing over
and sit with Marilyn.

Listening to Shelby Foote on the Civil War I am once more amazed at the mass delusion of
the South. But I guess they were provincial. They were expecting peace movements in the
North. And they did not count on the wild Irishmen just off the boat who were paid
substitutes in the draft.

Borrowed discs for Diana Stabenow's *Deeper Sleep*. Unfortunately I have read the book
twice and have it memorized.
Stabenow's main character is Kate Shugack, an Aleut in Alaska, who is an investigator. I
can't remember how she makes her living at the moment. She was an investigator for DA in
Anchorage. I have read all her books and love her. She has two books that are the Coast
Guard. It never occurred to me that there was Coast Guard presence in Alaska.

After a nap, I spent some hours sitting with Marilyn and doing hand sewing. Then to the
dog park. Not many people there.

BOOK REVIEW
Gillian Roberts, *Adam and Evil*
Caution: this is slow.
Amanda Pepper is a high school English teacher in Philadelphia and as usual in danger of
getting fired (contract not renewed). In her senior class is a boy named Adam who is
showing signs of mental deterioration. Amanda calls a conference with his parents who
are furious, insist Amanda has battered him and plan to go to the media. Amanda teaches
in a private school.
So one day Amanda takes her senior class on a field trip to the city library where a
librarian is strangled while the class is there. Adam is missing and becomes the chief
suspect. And the game's afoot.


Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: