Friday, July 18, 2008

WEB Griffin

This will be another day. I was up and down all night with an aching shoulder. From the Food Bank I recd a can of turnip greens. So I am feeding it to the dogs. They are crazy for it. A new book, *Me or the Dog* recommended a varied diet. Wolves eat the intestines of prey hence get vegies.
Potato soup for breaky.

Spent some time with Marilyn and the girls. Then I tried to take a nap. Finally I went to sleep.
Lady Chica behaved entirely different at Ft. Woof. She sort of adopted another little dog. She acted as if this dog were her puppy. It was so atypical. And Lady Chica did not run the fence.

Came home, and we all forced Marilyn to take a walk around the building. Then I came home and finished listening to Big Red Tequila. I am still reading *Death and Honor* It is a thick book.




BOOK REVIEW
W.E.B. Griffin, *Death and Honor*
This series is set in 1943 in Argentina, telling about OSS operations in that country, supposedly neutral. OSS was the precursor of the CIA. Griffin's heroes are all essentially the same guy with different names. Clete Frade had an American mother and Argentinian father. His mother's family raised him in Texas, they being wealthy oil people
I recommend the book for excitement. As usual with Griffin. Frade is recruited for OSS and goes down to meet his father. The first three books are about that encounter etc. In 1943 Frade is setting up an airline. Meanwhile the high ranking Nazis are preparing a nest egg for settlement after the war, which everybody but Hitler knows is lost. And senior staff officers of the Wermacht are planning to assasinate Hitler. Another character is Juan peron. I keep wondering how Frade survives the Peron years.

I looked up Canaris in Wikipedia. He was executed in 1945 after the failed July 20 assassination attempt on Hitler.
Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: