Sunday, July 13, 2008

Warren Jeffs

Woke up tired. A good tired, Ruth pointed out. Martha is coming over today to mop kitchen and finish up. Meanwhile I must tidy.
I found my book on overcoming chronic pain. There are rewards for tidying. One finds lost treasures.

At 4 PM I am so tired. I played gofer all day while Jeff and Martha mopped and cleaned.
I put things in bags and piled them into closet.

I am planning to shred old letters and journals.

I took the dogs over to John and Lea's so that they don't mess anything up. John invited me to join Lea's birthday dinner. We went to La Isaleta because Lea chose flan.
Spending the night in Lea's yard is Lady Chica's dream come true.


BOOK REVIEW
Stephen Singular, *When Men Become Gods*
This is the further adventures of the Fundamentalist Modern Day Saints, FLDS.
The author's wife suggested he write about Warren Jeffs who at that time was a fugitive. Singular had earlier written a book about neo-Nazis in Denver, where faith meets terrorism. The author and his wife drove to southern Utah where Singular met Elaine Tyler, who was running Hope Organization which helped women and children escape Warren Jeffs.
Warren had taken over as Prophet after his father died, and he was brutal.
Only recently had I heard about the Lost Boys. I had not thought that if one man has 80 wives, then 79 men go without. The young men are excommunicated.
My thinking about polygamy had been conditioned by hunting and fishing cultures where the mortality rate of men is high.
The book reads like a novel and I stayed up late to finish it. Singular weaves the threads of Warren Jeffs and the women who are organizing to rescue other women. Women organizing began happening in the eighties, probably as the women's movement washed over the culture.

The members of FLDS have Biblical precedence. When King David got old, his advisors procured a young damsel to put in bed with him to keep him warm. Altho the king knew her not.

I Kings 1:1-4 (King James version)


Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: