Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Under the beetle's cave

My usual Tuesday routine. I hit the snooze button thinking I have Sunday school time. Only I need to leave at 8:30. Threw on my clothes and arrived early.
Lighter load this morning. Altho later we had hostile people demanding groceries. The director suggested people were desparate.

I came home and slept for three hours. Then the dogs demanded to go to the dog park. Fairly cool with a breeze.

BOOK REVIEW
Mary Willis Walker, *Under the Beetle's Cellar*
The title comes from a line in a poem by Emily Dickinson.
The story concernes a hi-jacked school bus where the driver and eleven children are taken hostage to be sacrificed after 50 days when the world would end. Members of a cult had taken them hostage and buried them in a school bus underground "to purify them".
The driver is allowed a phone call of one minute. He refers to the poem as a means of telling the FBI negotiators where the hostages were located, under ground.
This is not a mystery. I found it compelling. The bus driver displays courage, keeping the children alive, altho he dies in the final attack by the FBI swat team.


Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: