Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wednesday July 23

10 am. I intend to rest today. Just rest. No pains this morning. Temp is reaching at least 100 every day. The air feels like mush.

The dogs and I lay around all day. Spent two hours at Ft. Woof. Blitzen got a pack of eight dogs running on the other side of the fence. Later the dogs just lay in the shade. Lady Chica actually lay on the bench beside me. I read a Mrs. Murphy cat story. review soon.

BOOK REVIEW
William Manchester, *World Lit by Fire*
I read the chapter on Magellan. When his expedition returned to Spain, the 18 survivors found that they had lost a day. Magellan had been sailing westward as the earth turned east.
At first people tried to hide it, but several logs had been kept. The king destroyed one original but a copy had been kept. I don't understand how anyone figured out that the earth turned on its axis.
Actually, some scholars had known for years that the earth was round. Aristotle watched an eclipse and saw the round shadow on the moon.





Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: