Saturday, July 5, 2008

Gillian Roberts

Slept in until almost ten. Hot already. In fact, when I made library run the outdoor thermometer read 98 degrees.
Noon and I am sleepy.
Last night the dogs were pestering me. After all, they had not seen me for eight hours. I gave them each a bone. So we took our bones to bed. I lay there trying to sleep with a bone chewing on each side of me. (I am the filling in the dog sandwich in bed.)

Took a long nap. Waking at 4:30 pm I spent an hour or so with Marilyn. I am giving her an AlAnon lesson in one easy hour. Her children are worried about her and have taken over complete control.

As the sun sinks below the trees, the dog park is pleasant. Few small dogs and many big dogs. Blitzen talks trash at the fence and they race in packs along the fence.



BOOK REVIEW
Gillian Roberts, *The Dead of Summer*
Reading the book rather than listening to tapes gives one the feeling of reading an intimate letter, rather than the slowness of the series.
Amanda Pepper is an English teacher in Philadelphia. For financial reasons she agrees to teach remedial English during summer school. The classes are a mix of ethnic groups. A Vietnamese girl is kidnapped. Racist graffitti are found in the surrounding areas. And the game is afoot.

No comments: