Saturday, July 12, 2008

William Manchester

I forgot to mention that Tres Nevarre uses tai chi as a martial art.

Saturday morning. Suddenly these last two days I have become energized. I popped out of bed, walked dogs, did more tidying.

Jeff and Martha came over and steam cleaned my carpet. What a job! Martha went thru my kitchen counter tossing packrat stuff.

I am so tired I can hardly move. I intend to skip church again tomorrow and continue tidying.

Took the dogs to the park. Judy had emailed me to meet her. Lady Chica lay under the bench in the shade for the hour I spent there. Somehow I made a movement which told her I was leaving for home and she took off in sweeping circles. A kind lady held her at the wading pool.


BOOK REVIEW
William Manchester, *A World Lit Only By Fire*: medieval mind and the renaissance
Martha and I had a discussion about middle ages and what upheavals segued into the renaissance. So I am looking at Manchester's book. He started to write a biography of Magellan and it turned into this book. Manchester thinks Magellan is a huge factor in the change into the renaissance.
All I know about magellan is that his crew went around the world, altho he was killed in the Pacific somewhere. (I then looked him up in Wikipedia. He started with five ships and one ship and 18 sailors reached home.)
So far in the book we are dealing with the Dark ages. Roman Empire overrun by the barbarians. Manchester discusses how Chirstianity is diluted by paganism. I took a course in Applied Anthropology and most of the course was devoted to this subject, altho the course had a different approach. The Church survived by assimilating the pagan gods and rituals. Many churches are built on pagan sacred sites, e.g. Mexico City. to be continued



Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: