Monday, May 11, 2009

May 11

Re yesterday: it was wonderful. When I ranted and raved about social class and the school system, Jake cited statistics supporting my position. Wow. Wow.
Then I was talking about Columbine. Jake and I both cited statistics on "shooters". Only 30% played video games. And Jake ended, "But 100% had a copy of *Catcher in the Rye*. Hey Jake, I looked up that title and it comes from a poem by Robert Burns. I cant get the tune of Bringing in the Sheaves out of my mind. (OK, Readers. Ask me why that associates. No se.)

Monday morning. Up on a gloomy day, 9:40 am. It rained. The ground is wet. Summer is on its way. 66 degrees seems chilly. Meeting Judy at Wendy's.

Wendy's has a new item: coffee frosty. I labeled this breakfast. 10 points. 4 points for small chili. Judy and I talked about politics, Columbine, Germs, Guns and Steel. Judy had seen an NPR presentation on the latter. We saw the sun come out. So we hastened to the park. No other dogs at all. Our three dogs spent their time treeing a squirrel. Blitzen climbs a tree. I do believe he is a treeing feist.

Took a nap. Watched the final episode of the American Indian, the standoff at Wounded Knee in 1973. At the head of the account in Wikipedia it says that this entry is biased. I agree.

To begin with, it took place in an atmosphere. Everybody in the USA had been protesting for a decade. [In 1973 I was busy organizing a shelter for battered women.] On the Pine Ridge rez the tribal chairman was corrupt and biased toward mixed bloods. The group of full bloods asked AIM to come in and help them protest. They decided to occupy the town of Wounded Knee.
The feds surrounded the town and the seige went on for 71 days. I do remember that the chiefs appealed to United Nations but got nowhere, despite the fact that the fed govt said the Ogala were a separate nation so they could not remove the tribal chairman. Of course, the seige ended. The feds cut off electricity and water.

And so it goes.

NPR has interviewed an author who has written a book -- I cant remember author nor book title. But it is all about how we are at a point of tremendous change. I would use the example of the invention of the printing press. Then everybody could read the Bible and look what happened. We got Baptists!!!!

At the Park:

Lady Chica's Tale
I was stalking this squirrel who was sitting on the ground eating a nut, when big old Blitzen comes lalloping along scaring the squirrel into the tree. Blitzen is such a klutz.

Blitzen's Tale
We had fun keeping that old squirrel up in the tree. Szabo was there, too.

BOOK REVIEW
Philip R. Craig, *Vineyard Prey*
Martha's Vineyard series. I always enjoy books in this series bc they are full of sights and sounds of the Vineyard, sort of a travelogue. The plot is always the same. Somebody is out to kill Joe Jackson or his wife or his buddy, Joe Begay.


Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: