Wednesday, May 6, 2009

May 6, 2009

Thinking about Indians. For my comprehensives for PhD I had to become an expert on one culture area. I chose Plains Indians. I was amazed at how rapidly culture change had come about. One or two sightings about 1790 showed that the horse had not arrived. Yet by about 1840 here they were in all their glory.
The Lakota Souix had a complex mid-summer celebration which the other horse cultures adopted in part. There was a great deal of culture exchange among the horse cultures. So they all look alike. I noticed that in the final pictures of Geronimo he was wearing a feather head dress. That is not Apache (who were not in the Plains horse culture). Of course, Geronimo acted in Wild West Shows. That is sort of like Osama Ben Ladan acting in some kind of horse show.

By the way, the Apache group were enemy combatants and were kept in Florida for 27 years.

Wednesday morning. Breakfast was served at 9:30 am. By acclamation. The dogs had been going bizarre early on. I think it was the new dog on the block, an adorable little pekenise (sp) named Cassie who is not friendly.
Sun is shining. No pain except my jaw.

I have worked hard on pieceing all day. Took a nap. I have found two more sets of partially finished bloocks. They are enuf for two lap quilts when I finish. It takes 15 blocks of 12" square.

PPQS tonight. We are giving away another lap quilt. A woman who works with Lea has a friend who has been diagnosed with lung cancer.
Lea mended John's jeans tonight. She does a beautiful job of mending. I worked on collars for shirts. Like I need another shirt!!!
79 degrees right now. Tomorrow will be 89 and feel like 98.

Lady Chica's Tale
Lots of squirrels and rats and birds out at Pup's tonight. I guess it is the wet weather. I had a lot of fun.

Blitzen's Tale
Went to visit Pup. Old Pup is always so glad to see us. We don't interact much. He lies down watching us, enjoying the company.

BOOK REVIEW:
Douglas Ezell, *Revelation on Revelation*
I am only on the first chapter. I think Doug Ezell should become a rabbi. His work is hard to wade thru. Does reading this count as a sacrifice in the temple? He argues that Old Testament prophecies were fulfilled in Jesus. So John in Revelation is talking about fulfilled prophecies. I think that is what Ezell is saying.







Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: