Monday, March 2, 2009

March 2

Up at 10:30. Had a nice sleep in after dogs stopped barking at the trash pickup. My hips are steadily feeling better day by day.

I managed to iron my last two shirts. Then I had to lie down. I managed to get to Walgreen to order the pics from Puerto Vallarta. And then off to the dog park where I met Judy. Yeah. Blitzen was impossible bc the motorsickles were practicing. he kept digging under the fence and I kept putting him on time out. Finally, just as I was ready to go home, he suceeded in getting under the fence. A nice lady volunteered to catch him and he came quietly. Hallelujah. A Miracle. Now for a nap at 5 PM. Lady Chica and Blitzen keep squabbling. The other day I saw one tiny moment of rapport. At the park they run in tandem.

Well, that nap lasted almost three hours. I woke rested, with my back in better shape. Trying to answer all the emails from Ruth on genealogy. She has found the treasure trove.



BOOK REVIEW
Abraham Verghese, *The Tennis Partner*
Another autobiography. In 1991 Abe took a job teaching in the dept of internal medicine at Texas Tech in ElPaso, TX. There he met a senior medical student who had once been a tennis pro. Tennis had always been a fantasy of Abe's. So David and Abe began playing tennis regularly. David had once been a cocaine addict. Now he is a recovering addict. He has been admitted back into med school under strict provisions.
Eventually David has a relapse. After several months at a rehab hospital for physicians, David returns to El Paso. Eventually he has another relapse and shoots himself.
This book presents the idea that drug addicts have a gene defect. I know that brain scans are showing brain differences. One of the characters in the book suggests that Abe go to AlAnon.




Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: