Saturday, August 22, 2009

August 22, 2009

Up and off to the dog park by 10 AM. Fairly comfortable in the shade. Ray was there. Also a girl who is Muslim and is fasting. Cassie's mom was there and the history prof from TCU. We only talk about health care reform when Ray has walked away.

Lady Chica's Tale
Ray brot his doggie pool today and I had a great time splashing. We did not do much running. It is too hot to run in the sun. There were a few bicycles going by.

Blitzen's Tale
A man at the dog park said his dog teacher told him that beagles were like Houdini, the best to get out. I guess I can thank my beagle ancestors.

After my nap I went over to farmer's market. Eight vendors today and more variety of produce. Fresh produce costs money. I wanted tomatoes --- to eat as snacks. Got cukes and melons. Martha raised some cukes that crossed with melons. I call them melcumbers. The farmer called them cukalopes.

Then I took another nap. I think the heat stresses me out. The temp is not so high but the sun is so hot. Temp was 91 and real feel 96.

7:27 PM and I am going to take a third nap. I am just too tired to read.



BOOK REVIEW
Attica Locke, *Black Water Rising*
literary thriller. The story is set in Houston, TX, in 1981. I moved there in 1982; so it sounded interesting. Jay Porter is a black lawyer, just keeping his head above water. He has an activist past which haunts him and unfolds for the reader as the book progresses. He takes his wife for a birthday ride along the bayou. On the way home, they rescue a woman who has fallen into the bayou. Later in the paper he reads that a man has been found dead along the bayou and apparently the woman had shot him.
In the last chapter the reader learns the meaning of "Black Water Rising".

No comments: