Tuesday, April 7, 2009

April 7

Monday night. Watching the basketball game was heartbreaking for me and all the folks in MI. North Carolina was so obviously the better team. Actually Pres Obama had picked them for the championship.
I did have a chance to see Magic Johnson. He talked during the half.

Worked at the Baptist Center. We served seven families at the Food Pantry. We closed early to get lunch before the Lenten organ recital. Glorious. Broadway Baptist has this beautiful organ, one of the best in the country.
After the recital, I went down to sit with Nancy while she ate and I had a second dessert.

Lady Chica just pulled a bookmark out of a book and is eating it. paper seems to digest.

Came home to find a fed-ex pkg on my doorstep. A big box full of little boxes of Godiva chocolates from Sherry (my niece). Gotta write a thank you note.
Took a nap and off to the dog park. I was underdressed and cold all morning. At the park I was overdressed and too warm.
A man, homo sapiens, stood on the Big Side and trash talked Blitzen, holding up his dog. I think testosterone is testosterone, whatever the species.
A huge bird with a red bill swooped over the field. People with small dogs worry. I was told that one little chihuahua got hit by a pack of little dogs and was killed.

I caught Lady Chica again with a treat. Judy said it would not work twice!!!! She was tired.
Watched NCIS. What a diffeerence on a decent tv with HD. Since I moved to Arlington I have not had decent tv reception. Mayb the airport.

Lady Chica's Tale
I raced with this huge, huge white dog. He barked real low. Woof Woof. We never did get a pack going. Mom lured me in with a treat. Those treats from Martha are yummy, yummy.

Blitzen's Tale
This dog wouldn't fight. So his Dad held him up and said to me across the fence, "I'll get you. I'll just come over that fence and get you. I'm bigger than you." But the bum didn't respond.
I mostly let old Chica run today. I explored the perimeter.

BOOK REVIEW
Malcolm gladwell, *Outliers*
This is a fun book to read. Gladwell has collected various social science studies and amalgamated them into a synthesis in support of his thesis that success is not a matter of the individual but of the individual's culture, time of birth, social circumstances and being in the right place at the right time.
(As a sociologist/anthropologist I knew all this. Anybody who has taken Sociology 101 knows that social class rules all. I recd a new perspective on the social classes of my forebears. The other day somebody mentioned how brave my great grandmother was to come to America all by herself in a sailing ship when she was only seventeen.)
An outlier is somebody who is far out on the bell shaped curve.


Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: