Wednesday, April 8, 2009

April 8

*Outliers* demonstrates why I call "race" in the U.S. a "caste". In Jamaica you have "blacks" and "coloreds". Colin Powell comes from a colored family. That to me explains his career, meaning that he would be raised with expectations.

Almost all African Americans in US are "coloreds". Barack Obama is a colored, almost a classic colored.

In the US, children took the caste of their mother. In some ways, Obama's caste is white. That is one factor in his ability to become president. He was raised white.

Wednesday morning 11 AM. deep sleep, almost 12 hours, courtesy of benedryl. I took one tab for allergy last night. I was up at 5 for a pit stop and never woke up. At eleven the dogs began playing tag on my supine body. The books dont cover dogs like mine who interact. We communicate.

The hardest task for me in the day is getting dressed bc it involves bending hips and knees. Getting a sock on my right foot is the Big Achievement of the day. It does not pay to live too long.
I have been fussing with my plants, watering and such.

Went over to join John and Lea in viewing their grandson, age 4, in a soccer game. Of course it is hilarious. Aubrey, the grandson, had no idea what he was doing. He just ran after the ball. We laughed and laughed and laughed.
Then John took us to dinner at Luby's. I stuffed myself and had to bring home my strawberry shortcake in a to go box.

BOOK REVIEW
Sue Henry, *Sleeping Lady*
Sleeping Lady is a mountain in Alaska. Alex Jensen is a state trooper who lives with Jesse the Iditarod musher. This book revolves around a sting operation on guides who violate federal rules, like chasing grizzlies with planes. An undercover Fish and Wildlife female agent is found dead and her pilot missing. We already know the bear ate him. I *mean* ate -- in the fall fattening up for hibernation. We get to know the bear. Well, Jensen solves the crime but --- you have to guess at the ending, the real solution, and you dont want to believe it.

I had a hard time getting into this book. The prologue deals from the bear's perspective of eating the pilot. I was upset when the bear was later shot. Good enuf for the pilot to be eaten!


Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: