Wednesday, September 23, 2009

September 23, 2009

PBS was wonderful tonight. First was Nova, talking about how genes are turned off. I was fascinated with that bc in the stuff I have been reading about evolution, the difference between us and mice, for example, are turned off genes. Some man at McGill in Canada is turning chickens into a dinosaur, going backwards.
Then a geneticist traced human beings back to Africa. San Bushman. Interesting side note: in No1 Ladies Detective Story, Precious adopts two children who are San Bushmen.
All humans alive today are descended from San Bushmen. The first place ancient man got to was Australia. Another group got to central Asia.

I was so fascinated I forgot all about my car and the possibility of it dying.

Wednesday morning
I love mornings when i can sleep in. I woke about 9, absolutely chilly, 63 degrees. My back was tensed up like a pretzel. Without a car my life would be so curtailed. I chose my condo in Arlington Oaks bc I could walk to kroger and the library. Alas, here I am in the boondocks. Nothing within walking distance. Maybe I could make Dollar General.

11 AM I am so relieved. Repair shop called, well, the repair man called. The problem is my fan belt and it will be replaced. I think he thot I was crazy when I said I was happy.


Blitzen's Tale
Mom has been all out of shape about the car. I have been out of shape, too, bc if the car is ruined it means no more going to the dog park.
We walked to the repair shop this aft. The smells. The smells. The smells.

Lady Chica's Tale
What happens at Pup's stays at Pup's.

PPQS tonight. Lea sewed the quilt blocks together. I cut out fleece for hats to sell at Senior Craft Fair. Boy am I tired tonight.

BOOK REVIEW
Malcolm Gladwell, *Blink*
I am only 20% through this book but I went to a web site and tried. The idea of the book is that we have an automatic response immediately before we have a thought. There is a web site where one can take a test. And I supported the hypothesis of the book. I clicked race with words that were good or bad. Automatically I have a strong preference for white people. 27% of the people taking the test made this score.
I had a hunch this would happen. I live in this culture. John thinks that as we age we revert back to old stereotypes.
If you would like to take the test go to:www.implicit.harvard.edu



Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: