Friday, September 25, 2009

september 25, 2009

I was half an hour late to tai chi. In other words I missed half of it. I didn't set the alarm. Then I stayed for sloppy joes for lunch at the Senior Center.
Made a library run. Ready for a nap.

Well, I didn't get to sleep. I have some hats to sew to be sold at Senior Craft Fair. Then off to the dog park. It was not too unpleasant. the dogs ran a little bit. Chance and P---- were there. (Cant remember the name of Chica's boy friend.)

Lady Chica's tale
I did some running with Chance and that other dog. I like to tease them. I run a little and then run off. Then I ate some funny orange stuff that fell on the concrete from the trees.


Blitzen's Tale
There was a cute little boston terrier there. She just got through being receptive and she still smelled good. I kept paying her attentions and they kept dragging me off. the Southern Baptists again!

BOOK REVIEW
Ellen Ruppel Shell, *Cheap*
Shell is a journalist, now prof at Boston Univ. This is non-fiction. The theme of the book is that we are a discount culture. She traces the history of discount stores from Woolworth. I had never thot of the Five and ten as discount. She continues the trail on until Walmart. The manufacturer no longer has control over what is produced. The retailer has enuf power to order what he expects to sell.
Tonight on PBS I was listening to CEO of a chain of luxury hotels. He defined luxury as one of a kind.
All in all I find this a depressing book. She praises Costco for their policies toward employees. Costco profits from membership fees.
Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: