Tuesday, September 29, 2009

September 29, 2009

Baptist Center
We have served 18 units today, ranging from 1 person to 7 per unit. No more time. We are set up like a grocery store and it takes time for a person to shop WITH a volunteer.
Until this month we have usually served an average of 12. We are getting more white Anglos. (I was told that I am classist. I categorize people by class. I may be getting more middle class people.) That is my impression but I may be wrong.
We usually get homeless men and Latino families.

I came home, ate lunch and slept for three hours. It was a tough morning. a lot of new people. Food pantry serves by zip code and we only serve 76104.
Lots of people arguing about clothing. We give out 30 numbers and they line up at 7:30 to start at 9:00. It takes time for individuals to shop. People stand there and say I don't have shoes or pants or something.
The biggest difference between middle class and under class is an understanding of "rules". Underclass people "want" or "need".

So then we went to the dog park where my dogs ran tonight as well as a little black schnauzer. see Blitzen's tale. Ray was there and nobody else to talk to. So I listened. I find Ray boring but he does things like fix tags on my dogs' collars. And I do like him in a strange kind of way. He and I banter.

Blitzen's Tale
Tiger's Dad (on the big side) accused me of starting a riot. I just got those big old busters moving. There was a pack of eight or ten big dogs running on the other side of the fence. Several people have called me an instigator.

Lady Chica's Tale
We ran like the wind tonight. The big dog pack kept running into and over each other. it was wild. Wild I say. Chance and Buddy were there and happy to run.

7:35 PM Just turned off Ken Burns documentary. I find it boring. It does not meet my expectations.

BOOK REVIEW
Steig Larson, *The Girl Who Played with Fire*
Translated from the Swedish. It is like reading a Russian novel bc the names are strange. And place names are unknown. This book is not for the sensitive. It deals with the sex trade and there are explicit scenes of sex and torture.
YOU MUST READ THE GIRL WITH DRAGON TATTO before reading this. It is a continued story. The books center on a magazine "Millenium", kind of like Mother Jones I gather. Each novel is a journalist investigating some story. Lisa S is a super hacker and provides data. In this book the journalists are investigating the importation of prostitutes from Eastern Europe to sweden.


Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: