Saturday, June 28, 2008

Chesapeake

Off to Ft. Woof as fast as we can. I have things to do today. The dogs were quiet this morning. Nobody moving, esp that pesky little chihuahua next door. Dog named Benji.

Sat morn and parking lot at Gateway is crowded with tailgate picnics. Lady Chica loves the weekend. So many cars. She directs traffic. At first there were twenty people. I counted. By noon we were left alone with only a three legged dog.

Attended Circle Theatre. See review below. Then I scorched over to Primary Purpose for open AA birthday night. I brot a Key Lime pie.

THEATRE REVIEW:
Saw *Chesapeake* by Edward Blessing. That is the strangest play I have ever seen and certainly the most sophisticated. This is the last weekend; so I can't spoil it for anyone.
Our hero is a performance artist. One actor performs all the way through the play. He rants and raves about the futurists. When the senator from his state is advocating closing the NEA (National Endowment for the Arts), our hero decides to dognap the senator's dog. The senator uses his dog in his campaigning. Well, both hero and dog are killed in an accident.
The curtain for Act II raises on our hero who has been reincarnated as a dog. He can use the computer to communicate and convinces the senator that he is a messanger from God. So the senator supports the NEA. The senator's wife gets him tossed out in the middle of Chesapeake Bay. The dog is a retreiver and drags the senator to land, and they live happily ever after.
The dog is a Chesapeake Bay retreiver.
The play uses the term neonancy, a term I have come to love. Neonancy means late development of certain traits. Dogs are wolves who remain puppies. Homo sapiens are apes who remain in a foetal state. Julius Huxley wrote a novel about this in the 1930's, *After Many a Summer Dies the Swan*.
How did I like the play? I was on the edge of my seat but the man next to me slept through most of it.

No comments: