Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday June 29

I did it again. I said to the dogs, "D'y'all want to eat?"

I woke when the alarm rang. Before the second alarm after the snooze button, it began to rain buckets. I drove home last night in a horrible cloud burst. So I have had enuf. I turned off alarm and went back to sleep. I ache all over. Another front must be coming in.

I was too tired to even take dogs to the park.


BOOK REVIEW
Gillian Roberts, *The Mummer's Curse*.
Philadelphia has a tradition of a Mummer's Parade on New Year's Day. Mummers date back to the middle ages in various forms. Mummers seems to mean "masked". In Philadelphia there are social clubs composed of various ethnic communities, blue collar workers.
There are four categories of groups, Fancy, Comic, string bands and something else. The Fancies just march in complex costumes. There are competitions and prizes.
Our heroine is Amanda Pepper who is now cohabiting with a homicide detective. Amanda is a high school English teacher. One of her fellow teachers is an ardent mummer and takes Amanda to a rehearsal of their club. So Amanda and C.K attend the parade in order to watch her friend's club. As the group passes in front of Amanda, one of the mummers is shot. Eventually her friend becomes the chief suspect. And the game is afoot.
Recommended for women only.

Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: