Sunday, June 15, 2008

Nevada Barr

We nearly tore the house down this morning. There was a squirrel in the tree outside our window. The width of the sidewalk. These are not trees they are ??? mimosa???? Anyhow, it gave a clear view.
Editing: The squirrel sat in the mimosa which has no bark and gave us a clear view. I think he heard the dogs barking.

This will give the dogs something to do while I am gone all day. I am going with Martha and Jeff to something at Bass Hall.

I think the squirrel has taken up residence in Sunset Gardens.

Paulette: eighty-six is rhyming slang for nix

Martha wanted to know if I was on speed. I think I drank a lot of water yesterday and that gets me high. You have to be careful how much water you drink.
We went to the Reata, a restaurant in Ft. Worth. We had an appetizer of pecan mashed tamales. Then I had salmon chowder. Then molten choc cake. I cannot even describe it.
We dawdled in Barnes & Noble. I tried to read an article in Harpers but it was obscure.
Off to Bass Hall to see the Chinese gymnasts. Oh my goodness. I said that Silver Sneakers has given me an appreciation of what they are doing. I have come home to try getting up off the floor.
Came home to take a nap after I get off the floor. Martha is driving to Laredo. Car thermometer said 102. it feels like that.

I slept for a couple hours. We went over to the park about 8 when the temp had cooled. A dozen people there, coming and going. Miles was there with Mickey and Avery. Nuka was there with her person. Blitzen couldn't get the big dogs to run the fence with him.

So tired. It was exhausting watching those gymnasts.

Book Review:
Nevada Barr, Falling Liberty, on tape
Anna Pigeon's sister falls ill and Anna goes to New York to be with her. She stays on Ellis Island with a friend in the Park Service and enjoys wandering around the abandoned buildings thereon. of course we have a minute description of her wanderings and the buildings I have a vague feeling I have read this book before. I remember action in abandoned buildings on Ellis Island.
At the dog park I am reading *They Marched Into Sunshine*, author to be supplied. It is a book about Vietnam and riots at U of Wisconsin, juxtaposed. I was teaching in a university in 1967 and I heard about the war from returned vets. I went to teach-ins organized by returned Air Force pilots.
Shelby Foote wrote four novels before he wrote *The Civil War*. It is easy reading. He describes Jefferson Davis and Abraham Lincoln. He seems to think Lincoln devised the shelling of Ft. Sumter in order to force the South to start the war.


Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: