Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday June 30

I spent the night in a British movie about life in the colonies in Victorian times, like Passage to India. (I mean it was a dream.) I was making instant wine, from powder, like instant coffee.

And so I belong to history. I have been reading an article about *Our Bodies, Our Selves* and the feminist movement, back in ancient history.

Went back to bed, slept until 1 PM. Woke up feeling rested. Strange.

PPQS met tonight. In the course of conversation Lea mentioned that during the War with Mexico, the Mexicans printed broadsides enticing the Irish Catholics to desert the American army. And some did. (Lea is an archivist and would like to have one of those broadsides.) I never thot of the Mexican war as Interactive.

BOOK REVIEW:
I gave away *Beach Road*. After three or four chapters I succumbed to the temptation to read the last two chapters. Patterson has violated the Prime Directive of the mystery story. I gave it away.

Ellen Hart, *The Mortal Groove*
I have no idea what that title has to do with the book. This is one of a series about Jane Lawless, a Lesbian restranteur in Minneapolis. Minnesota. Jane has a friend, Cordelia, whose girl friend is an investigative reporter. The reporter is knifed when she starts investigating an old unsolved murder from 1971.
I was wondering how that got into the story and now I remember. Jane's father is running for governor. The reporter is doing background investigating of the campaign manager who is involved somehow in that murder.
I was in suspense. I don't know how that can be when I know Jane survives for another book. Anyhow, I enjoyed the book and recommend it to liberal minded women. After all, the heroine is a Lesbian.

No comments: