Saturday, July 25, 2009

July 25, 2009

A talking head on PBS suggested how we could get single payer health insurance. (Single payer means government) Slowly by increments lower the Medicare age. First lower to 55. Then as people got used to that, lower to 45. And so on until everybody is covered.
Private insurance companies are still involved in Medicare. Govt pays them.

I see that Prez Obama plans to vacation on Martha's Vineyard. Too bad that the chronicler of Vineyard Mysteries has gone to that great dancehall in the sky. A colony of wealthy blacks has long summered on the Vineyard.

10 AM. leisurely awakening. The thread tension on my sewing machine has settled down and I plan to sew up a storm. I wish NPR had something I wanted to listen to on Sat. I hate Car talk. Lake Woebegone does not come on until five. Prairie Home Companion

I sewed pockets on my summer dresses (beach dresses). I have a fanny pack but I prefer pockets. I also have a bib like thing from the Congo.


At seven we went to the park. Temp is 99 degrees. In the dark. Ken, Judy and Szabo were there. we talked until almost nine.

Lady Chica's Tale
I slept most of the day. Sleepy days of summer. We went to the park tonight. I ran the fence off and on. Buddy and the white dog were both there.

Blitzen's Tale
As usual, we went to the park and Mom was threatening "Time Out". She even hit me once. Said her hand hurt worse than I did. I didn't hurt at all. Ol Szabo was there. He and I double team those dogs.

BOOK REVIEW
Jefferson Bass, *Carved in Bone*
The Body Farm is a research project attached to the Univ of Tennessee. Dr. Bass who originated the farm is one of the authors of this series. Corpses are laid out or buried at various depths and are monitored for decomposition. In this book, Dr. Brockton (fictional) is called to look at a body found in a cave. This is an incorruptible. Under certain conditions a body turns into something that is between soap and fat. Dr. B must identify her and then find her killer.

*Bones of Betrayal* is the most recent book in the series. Dr. B is called on to cut a body out of the ice of a swimming pool. He finds that the victim was killed by swallowing a pellet of highly radioactive material. The pathologist doing the autopsy is severely burned. A story within a story is the story of Oak Ridge, Tenn, where the atom bomb was developed. The victim was one of the early physicists who developed the bomb.


Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: