Wednesday, July 8, 2009

July 8, 2009

I slept deeply last night. At six, lady Chica woke me with barking, but with a different sound. I went in the study to find that she had knocked over a chair and blocked herself in. (The chair was overloaded with tee shirts. I wish I could bring myself to take some to the Baptist Center.)
After that, there were noises until the alarm rang at 8. I have a headache, probably orange ozone. Off to dog park but I hit the snooze button and it is 9 am.

I dawdled until we reached the park at 10:15. The dogs did run a lot. Good oh. temp is 93, real feel 103. It is so humid.
Listening to talking heads on NPR: I never realized Google has those ads. It never percolated. I also learned how it is that things like Skype can be free. The cost of the free is so minuscule that selling extras can make a profit.

Took a long nap. I slept so hard. Feel rested. Dashed over to Farmer's market. Four vendors. I bought tomatoes and cukes. It is sort of disappointing but I am happy to have what we have.

Lady Chica's Tale
I really ran full out this morning. I guess it was the breeze. I got all wet and then drying off was cooling. Flaked out all afternoon.

Blitzen's Tale
I really ran all out this morning. Flaked out this afternoon.


Had dinner at Outback with Leslie B. Leslie B is a friend of mine, has been for ten years or so. Leslie was trained as a linguist, now develops online learning programs. Tonight we discussed the future of China. The present generation of young folks is predominantly male. I had thot about the importation of women but I had not considered the psychological consequences of few women around. (Aha, Mark Farmer. Here is your experiment.)
The economic consequences of declining population.

I think I am ready for another nap.

BOOK REVIEW
Jenna Blum, *Those Who Save Us*
Not my usual read. I was given the book. It is a novel about a woman finding out about her mother. The beginning is Germany from 1940 to the end of the War. Trudy is born. Her mother marries an American soldier at the end of the war and emigrates to Minnesota. In 1996 Trudy, now Dr. Swenson a history prof, begins a Project, interviewing Arayan Germans who lived thru the War. An intense novel. It leaves me feeling "weird".

Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: