Saturday, June 20, 2009

June 20, 2009

Awoke about eight and everthing was so peaceful. So quiet. No barks. No nothing. Got up. While reading emails my sister called, testing her Skype. They had problems last night with their Skype. They talk to their son in Australia regularly.
The live blogs from the riots in Iran remind me of Libby in the student riots at SIU. Libby was downtown with the riots. Every few minutes she found a pay phone and called to give us a report.

The birds are delivering fertilizer directly to my plants.

The dog park was comfortable this morning. High eighties but with a breeZe. The dogs didn't run much but I got to talk to people: Ray, Cassie's mom (Cassie is a cow dog), and the ancient history prof. Broadway Baptist made the papers again. We are about to be kicked out of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Each Baptist Church is independent. They join together in larger units called conventions. We also belong to Cooperative Fellowship of Baptists. Churches who departed from Southern Baptists. We remain in Southern Fellowship in order to keep our organist and choir director in their jobs at Southwestern Seminary.

White blossoms drift across my window like snow. made it to the farmers mkt, two blocks away. Blitzen ran that far one day when he got away. Four vendors, each under a shade. I bought a little basket that had one tomato, one squash, one zuchini, one tomato, 3 potatoes. Just what I wanted. And then more tomatoes. There was a tamale vendor, too. I came home drenched in sweat. Temp only 91 degrees.

Now for a shower and dress for the evening. Jeff and Martha are taking me to Lambert's, a steak house with live music. Look it up on the internet. So I am going to sign off for today.

Lady Chica's Tale
Too lazy to run much this morning. The park was full of puppies. Mom laughs a lot at the puppies.

Blitzen's Tale
It's good to get outdoors but we didn't run much. It's not running weather.

I have been reading a book about the Battle of the Bulge. This is the first I have ever seen reference to what happened to ASTP soldiers after leaving college campus. The commander of the infantry announced their arrival by calling them the cream of the crop, cream that had gone sour. The author of the book talks bout the need for physical fitness. At Michigan State the soldiers ran an obstacle course every Sat morning. They crossed the Red Cedar hanging from a rope. (On the banks of the Red Cedar lies a college known to all.)

I have several books I am reading. I am stuck on a Wallender book. It is fine when he is in Sweden but then he goes to South Africa. The plot is about a plot to assassinate Nelson Mondela.


Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: