Monday, June 29, 2009

June 29, 2009

I woke at 11:10 --- after I was supposed to meet Judy at Wendy's. I called Juday and asked her to wait 15 more minutes. Actually it was 20 before I got there. We had our usual chat. She thinks I need to write the story of my life. Well, it might be a good exercise.

Then I went to the library to peruse two new reference books, lists of mysteries and of spy stories. Also I found out where the new Sam Moon store is located. (Sam Moon sells jewelry and accessories for nothing.)

Came home and decided to take dogs to park. It is only 88 degrees. At 3:15 PM we were the onliest dogs there. A little later people began to come. There were two young males Blitzen was determined to dominate. So we came home -- but it had been an hour. I need a nap but Marilyn is sorting clothes and I will take her giveaways to Baptist Center.

We spent an hour sorting clothes and only half done. I have three big bags for me and one for Baptist Center. I may give some of the three bags to Baptist Center. Marilyn has the same problem I do. We needed clothes in the past and now we go nowhere.

I finally got a nap for today. 8:30 PM Ready for another read.


BOOK REVIEW
John Sandford, *Rules of Prey*
I think this is the first Lucas Davenport police procedural, Minneapolis PD. Lucas is a hard boiled cop. He has at least once been suspended for the use of excessive force. He has shot five people in the line of duty. He is a womanizer. He lies to reporters. He mostly works vice and drugs. He is mean to bad guys. The story is interesting. Serial killer. We know who he is from the beginning. Published in 1989. You know it is an old book when the characters have to use public pay phones.

The reference book at the library puts Davenport in a subgenre of "lonely police", halfway between PI and police procedural.


Hugs, Dr. Liz

No comments: